What does it mean to be "Verified?"
Once you've completed your bank form, Stripe (our payments processor) will use the information you've provided to verify the funds recipient's identity. If Stripe is able to verify your identity, you will see an "Identity Verified" button.
Please note this is not verifying the accuracy of the bank information provided.
Once you identity has been verified by Stripe, none of the fields can be edited, except for the account and routing number fields.
For questions about adding your Social Security Number, please see our separate article.
What if Stripe can't verify my identity?
Sometimes Stripe may require some additional information from you in order to verify your identity. In the event this happens, you will receive an email from Indiegogo notifying you that Stripe needs more information. Follow the instructions in the email you received so that Stripe can verify you and you can receive funds.
What does Stripe ask for in that situation?
If Stripe can't verify you off of the minimum information requested, and you're a resident of the United States, they will ask for your full Social Security Number and/or a government issued ID. They will typically ask for the full SSN first, and on some occasions, will request a government issued ID.
If your legal residence is anywhere outside of the United States, Stripe will prompt you to upload a government issued ID rather than SSN in this situation.
If asked to provide a government issued ID, such as a driver's license or passport, please note the following:
- ID should show your full name and DOB
- Upload a color photo
- Make sure the photo is well lit and readable
- PNG or JPG format
- Once uploaded, the government ID can't be viewed (to protect your information)
If you have questions about why this information has been requested, please see here.
- Stripe must verify the funds recipient before you can receive your campaign's funds.
- Stripe may also require you to verify your identity soon after you launch, in order to continue processing contributions. We therefore recommend completing your bank form as soon as you've launched your campaign to avoid any interruption to your campaign's ability to receive contributions.